When your computer is switched on, the WiFi radio is almost always transmitting or receiving signals. In certain situations, as in an airplane, signals from the radio may cause interference. Use the following methods if you need to disable the radio and use your notebook
without emitting radio signals.
Use the Optional Computer Radio On or Off Switch
If your computer has an external switch installed, use it to switch the WiFi radio on or off. See the computer manufacturer for more information about this switch. If you have Intel® PROSet/Wireless installed, the current state of the radio displays in the Intel
PROSet/Wireless main window and on the Taskbar.Use Intel PROSet/Wireless to Switch the WiFi Radio On or Off
From Intel PROSet/Wireless, the WiFi radio can be switched on or off. The status icon on Intel PROSet/Wireless displays the current state of the radio.
To start Intel® PROSet/Wireless, use one of the following methods:
Switch the WiFi Radio On or Off from the Taskbar Icon
- Click Start > Programs > Intel PROSet Wireless > WiFi Connection Utility.
- Right-click the Taskbar icon located in the lower right corner of your Windows* Desktop to open the Taskbar menu. Click Configure WiFi.
- Double-click the Taskbar icon to open Intel PROSet/Wireless.
To switch the WiFi radio on or off, click the Taskbar icon
and select WiFi On
or WiFi Off
. How to use the Device Manager to Disable the WiFi Radio
The WiFi radio can be disabled (made non-functional) from the Windows* Device Manager.Note:
If you disabled the WiFi radio from Windows*, then you must use Windows to turn the radio on. You cannot use a hardware
switch or Intel PROSet/Wireless to enable the radio again.Windows* XP
- From your desktop, right-click My Computer.
- Click Properties.
- Click Hardware.
- Click Device Manager.
- Double-click Network adapters and expand the selection by clicking the Plus symbol.
- Right-click the installed WiFi adapter.
- Choose Disable from the menu.
- Click OK.
- Use Control Panel > Mobile PC > Adjust commonly used mobility settings (if you use Classic View, select Control Panel > Power Options.
- Click Turn Wireless Off .
Hope this helps !